Thursday, May 3, 2007

Start of the Blog

My co-workers have been encouraging me to start this blog for a long period of time.

That probably deserves some explanation. I am an attorney practicing in Philadelphia, Pa. My area of practice is Intellectual Property Litigation (which includes patents, trademarks, copyrights, and trade secrets), which is kind of like being an extremely high priced detective. I used get involved representing small to mid-sized inventors and companies that have invented something, only to have it stolen by huge companies that you hear about in the business news everyday. It is my job to figure out how and why the huge companies stole the idea, and how they are using it. That takes a lot of time (and is very stressful).
That does not leave a lot of time for a social life or dating. Consequently, I am single (and have never been married), and approaching 40 years in age (in a few months). The paralegals and legal assistants in my office keep trying to play matchmaker and "hook me up" with ther single/separate/divorced friends. I tell them that I do not have the time to date. The consensus is that it is a waste, because I would make a good husband and father.
I still look good for my age. One of the few luxeries or vices that I have is working out for a hour everyday. I have seen too many of my collegues gain weight, and, coupled with the stress, develop serious health problems. So my exercise is more of a preventative measure than it is body scuplting. The side benefit is that I am 6'2", and 185 fit pounds. I probably will never have those abs that have become so popular, but at least I am not flabby. I still have most of my blonde hair (which I keep short anyway in the current style) and all of my teeth. More than a few think that I am attractive for my age.
So the women at work, some of the younger women, have been telling me that the way to meet eligible women is to get on www.myspace.com, and start a blog that women will be interested in reading. I have decided to do the later, and we'll see about the MySpace.
So what is the best way to start off this blog. The most interesting thing in my life right now is a bog trade secrets case I have been working on. I have to be careful how I describe it, so as to not breach attorney-client privilege. I will try to describe it in generalities. I represent an inventor who created a circuit, using a new diode material, which dramatically increases the efficiency of any electrical device. Used properly, it will drastically lower energy consumption. It is also possible to pair it with solar panels or wind veins to create a cheap, pleniful source3 of energy. It also makes electric cars a reality. Well, my client disclosed it to a big company under and agreement of confidentiality. To make a long story short, the stole it, and are getting ready to release the first generation of products with the technology in it. They are also seeking a patent on the technology to block everybody else, without including my client as a co-inventor.
Nasty stuff.
Naturally, that company has hired one of the biggest IP (Intellectual Property) firms in the Country to defend. They are using all of their resources (as compared to my smaller resources in a smaller firm), to make me give up by outworking me, or out spending us. As my client is a sole inventor, he cannot bear the costs of such litigation. That is absorbed by my firm. It also means that I have to do a lot of the detailed work myself.
That tends to wok in my favor anyway, because, by the time we get to trial I have seen every sheet of paper, and have figured out what it means in the grand scheme of the case. By contrast, the lead attorney on the other side has usually delegated such reading to the very same staff that is runing around, so, at the time of trial, my greater understanding serves me well. To put it bluntly, my style allows me to win a lot.
However, I have not had a vacation in awhile. Over a year. My partners have been encouraging me to take a vacation, even if it is a short one, just to get away and clear my head before the trial (which is due to start in two months).
So today when I got out of Court (on a motion to compel in the above case), I checked my calendar. I am free, starting tomorrow, for one week (until May 10th). I have time to get away for a while, no people, no phones, just me and peace and quiet.
The first thing that I did (before starting this blog as I sit behind my desk), is check for some Bed and Breakfast or Inn as far away from the hustle and bustle of city life. Somewhere where I can just think. Just be me for a while, and write my thoughts in this blog. I found an interesting place called the Trading Post Inn near Portland, Maine.
I had my secretary Lynne call and book me for a two week stay starting tomorrow. (Apparently the Inn likes to book in two week blocks, so I'll be coming in right in the middle of a block. I was lucky too, because it was the last room, the only single. Once I check in, they will be full.) She made all of the arrangements. I will catch the Amtrak from Penn Station to Portland. From there, I will rent a car, and drive the rest of the way. Lynne said there is always some sort of festival in that area, so I'll have things to do. Apparently the Inn does not have internet access, so I will take my trusted laptop, along with my Verizon data card, so I am not completely cut-off from the outside world.
I should be able to check into the Inn around 6:00 p.m. tomorrow.
I will try to post some more of my thoughts to this blog after I check in. Actually this is not too bad. I thought I would not be able to do this, but it allows me to get things off my chest, and out of my head, instead of festering. I am not all of the angry against the defendant in my big case anymore, because I got to express a little of it in here. I am thinking this blog can be very therapeutic.
I can only hope that it will help me to me the woman that my staff thinks I deserve.
Stay tuned. This is only my initial entry.

No comments: