Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Lazy Tuesday

I didn't see Ivy at all yesterday after she left my room. I have to assume that she was recovering physically, just as I was. I had this . . . craving . . . to see her again, but I knew, considering her situation, if I was possessive or jealous in any respect, it will create the wrong impression. She craved freedom right now to just exist in the world, and go wherever the wind blew her. I just hoped that the wind blew her back to me.

I did get out of the room at about 2 in the afternoon. The maids were knocking on my door and harassing me, and since they hadn't cleaned the room in two days, were pretty insistent about completing their task. Far be it from me to stand in between a maid and hygene.

So, I needed some activity to kill some time.

I "googled" Old Orchard Park on the 'ole laptop, and found a website that listed the activities to do in the area. I found a listing for the "Old Orchard Beach Historical Society" which was right at the top of Old Orchard Street. The site said it features historical memorabilia of the Old Orchard Beach area. I decided that I would check it out, because I do like to learn a little bit about the area where I vacation.

It was a nice day out, again, so I decided to walk, instead of drive.

As I was walking through the lobby, I saw a group of people that I hadn't seen before, coming in through the front door. They were carrying items that led me to the conclusion that they had been gone for a few days. Maybe these were the people that were off on a side trip.

I said to the gentleman, a man in his 30's who looked to be the leader,"Hi. Are you guests here at the Inn."

He looked at me oddly, as if I had no right to be asking him such questions.

Then he said, "Yes. And you are?"

"Paul, Paul Miller. I am a guest here too."

I stuck my hand out. The other guy took it, tenatively, and shook it. I needed to do something to allay his suspicions.

"Look, I am not trying to pry, but I heard there was a group off on a side trip. And this town is not exactly brimming with exciting things to do. I thought you could give me some ideas."

The man did not identify himself. The remainder of his group, 3 others, were busy talking amongst themselves. Still, his disposition changed into a friendlier aspect.

"I can't speak for Old Orchard Beach, but we were off on a fishing expedition up in Kennebunkport. It was exhausting, but we're happy to be back."

"So you are in for the night?" I questioned him.

"Yeah, for some much needed rest."

I saw no need to delay him further, so I wished him ado, by saying, "Maybe I'll see you around. I'm going to see whatever sights there are to see in Old Orchard Beach."

"Have fun," he returned, ssarcastically, rolling his eyes.

It made me laugh. It sounded like he had the same type of experience with this sleepy little town.

I noticed during my walk that there were a lot less people in town. As I walked, I tried to figure out what to do tonight (provided that I do not run into Ivy). It occured to me that she never told me her room number. I remembered something that Kat and Jaci told me about live music out on the pier on Tuesday night. That sounded like as good a plan as any. Maybe I would run into those two, and the three of us could go out for the night. They were looking for jobs, so maybe I'd help them by treating them to a night out.

It didn't take me long to get to the Historical Society. It was an older building, and the inside was exactly what you would expect from a small town version of a museum. There was a lot of sailing history, and stories of conflicts between the settlers and the indians . Interesting stuff. The earliest settlers were here in the year 1653. Their leader was a man named Thomas Rogers, who called the first settlement "The Garden by the Sea." It was changed by the sailors because of an old apple orchard that stood nearby, and was visible out at sea.

Naturally, there were stories of witches and other area legends that you always seem to find in abundance in New England. I mean, Stephen King made a fortune telling ghost stories about the supernatural in Maine. It seems he wasn't the only one with imagination.

Weird, I thought. There is some kind of spooky story connected to the place I was staying. I laughed internally. I never beleived in such things, and this sounded more far fetched than most. Most likely it was a cover-up of something that would get fifteen million hours of coverage on CNN if it happened today.

The other major event in Old Orchard Beach was a dramatic fire in 1907 that destroyed a good part of the beachfront dwellings. Fireman came from as far away as Portland to fight the blaze, to no avail. I guess that is why a lot of the buildings by the beach looked newer that the section where the Trading Post Inn was located. There were also many stories of the storms the city survived, as well as the launching point for many Charles Lindburgh type Trans-Atlantic flights.

All in all, in was a very educational and entertaing hour or so. At least I knew a little bit about the town now.

From the Historical Society, I walked down by the beach. It was a good little trek. I stopped by Denny Mike's Smokehouse BBQ & Deli for a late lunch. The fried haddock sandwhich and onion rings were to die for. By the time I got out of there it was going on about 4:30, so I decided to head back to my room.

I met up with Kat and Jaci in the lobby. So, I decided to ask them about the pier tonight.

Jaci said, "Sorry. I'd like to, but I promised my sister that I would come over tonight. Maybe we can do something before you leave. When do you check out?"

I told her, "I have to check out on Fridat by 11:00 a.m. I guess they have a whole new two-week group coming in."

I turned to Kat, knowing that it would sound like I was fishing for a date (after they already knew about my date with Ivy). I didn't want to seem like a "player."

Nevertheless, I asked her, "What about you Kat. No strings. Just friends hanging out?"

"No. I don't think so. Thanks anyway. This is not a vacation for me, so tomorrow, its back looking for jobs."

"Okay," I waived at them before heading toward my room, "If you change your mind, letr me know."

I gave Kat and Jaci my room number, just in case. I was still going to the pier tonight. I could only hope I ran into Ivy. THe pier on Tuesday night seemed like the only game in town.

No comments: