Saturday, May 5, 2007

JJ's Eatery

I do not want anybody reading this blog to think that Paul Miller is some kind of an angel. Far from it. For the most part, the things that I have written about in the past few days have portrayed me as quirky at best. You may be thinking, 'Paul sounds like a nice guy.'

That isn't the whole story. Since it is overcast and a little colder today (about 56 degrees), I decided to complete my story from yesterday.

Some of my legal colleagues have given me the nickname "Taipan." For those of you who know nothing about snakes, it is the most venemous snake in the world. One bite and you have about 5 minutes to live, or suffer a very painful death. Not only that, the snake, although appearing harmless, when riled, is extremely agressive, to the point of chasing you. I have to say, at times the description is accurate. The bottom line is that it gives me a subtle aura of danger, which some women that I have been involved with have translated into something of a bad boy.

I've done nothing to dissuade the image. All of this exposition just to tell you that I felt compelled to go down by the beach and see the mystery woman in a bikini. I am not a stalker, but I needed to see what her body looked like without all of those clothes.

I was not able to find her . . . initially . . . but I was able to find JJ's Eatery.

The lunch suggestion was right on the money. I had what they called the "Chowda" of the day, which in this case, was crab chowder, and the Lobster Club with chips and a pickle. Both were outrageously delicious.

I struck up a conversation with my waitress, Jennifer, a non-descript girl in her early 20's with a thick Maine accent right out of the movies.

I asked her, "Are there any festivals this weekend?"

She studied me, before replying, "You are about 2 weeks early, On May 19th there is a Beer Festival down on the pier. All of the microbreweries in the area have a booth, and there are food booths and arts and crafts. Keeps getting bigger every year."

Through my sandwhich i said, "There will be a lot of people here?"

"Oh yeah. All of the college kids come down from the universities in Portland for the day. That is why it has turned into such an event. It's the last blow out after finals."

I mumbled, "I'm glad I was able to avoid that. Sounds like a mess."

Jennifer told me, "only the locals around now getting ready for the summer season. During the summer we have a lot or people living here, and communting into Portland. Where are you from, Mister?"

"Philadelphia. Call me Paul."

We shook hands. It was a warm friendly gesture, rather than a way to brush me off. In fact, I found a lot of the people of Old Orchard Beach to be friendly.

"Well then," she said, "You know what I'm talking about. People from Philly summer on the Jersey Shore, right?"

"Yes," I confirmed. "My parents did it for a few summers, when I was a teenager."

"This is my favorite time of year," Jennifer related, "It's spring, and not so cold anymore, and people are getting ready for the Beach to come alive. There is such a feeling of excitment, anticpation, and change from the old winter routine."

She smiled. It was a genuine smile.

I asked Jennifer one last question, "Hey Sweetie, is there a popular place on the beach where everybody goes."

"Yeah, down on the north side of the pier. It's funny, it's only in the high 50's, still too cold for sun-bathing, but all of those folks who have bee cooped up for the winter can't wait for the first sign of warmth to take their clothes off."

With that, Jennnifer chuckled to her self, and went back to her other customer (who had been desperately signalling her during our conversation. I finished, paid the bill, and left Jennifer an extra tip for her advice. I may be dangerous, but I've had the privilege of working for tips during undergrad school as a bartender. I respect anybody who makes a living that way. Who ever said a bad boy can't have a heart of cold buried under all of that lethality.

I got directions to the pier from the cashier. It was in walking distance, and a nice day out, so I decided a little constitutional was in order.

Desipte the fact that it was the off-seaason, and right before the Beer Festival, the beach was buzzing with activity. There were a lot of kids in their late teens and early 20's running around in various states of undress. My powers of deduction told me it was some of the college students here for the days before finals.

It took me a few minutes to walk down the pier, and I must say it was a very pleasant walk. There were a lot of pretty yound co-eds that were easy on the eyes. However, as I neared the beach, my eyes were diverted by a lime green bathing suit. It was her. She was rinsing herself in the open shower, head back, eyes closed, letting the water run through her long hair. She was magnificent. Better than what I could have hoped for.

Suddenly, she looked up, and over at me, staring right into my eyes. I didn't know what to do . . . this is the second time that she caught me looking at her. She waved for me to come over.

It took me all of about 30 seconds.

I said the only thing that came to mind, "Hello."

Here I am, a trial attorney, with no loss of words in front of a judge and a jury, with a bad boy
reputation, and all I could think of is to say 'Hello.' Pathetic.

She stuck out her wet hand, "I'm Ivy."

I shook it, not noticing until it was to late that now I had a wet hand. I went to wipe it on my pant leg.

"Sorry," she laughed.

"It's okay."

"And you are . . . ?" She prompted me.

"Oh, Paul. My name is Paul."

Very bluntly she said, "You must be attracted to Asian women. That's the second time I caught you admiring me."

All I could do is blush, like a kid with his hand caught in a cookie jar.

She laughed again, like angels singing, "It's okay. Don't be embarassed. I think you're cute too."

Now my heart was really beating.

"Are you staying at the Trading Post Inn?"

"Yes. I'm here on vacation with my friend, Jean. The woman you saw me with. We came in a few days ago. When did you get in, I haven't seen you before today."

"Yesterday night. How long are you staying?"

"Through next week. You can only book the Inn in two week blocks. I've met some nice people there. Could you hand me my towel?"

She gestured to a blue towel laying on a bench. I jumped to do her bidding.

"What about you?" Ivy inquired.

"The same." I replied. I followed with, "I am going to go out on a limb, but are you busy tonight? Would you like to go exploring the town together?"

"Can't," she answered. "I have plans with Jean. What about tomorrow night?"

"Saturday night?" I gushed like a teenager asking a crush on the first date. That is exactly how it felt to me.

"Sure. I'd love to. What if I meet you in the lobby about 8?"

"That would be . . . great," I gushed.

"I'm looking forward to it," she added, giving that mysterious little smile again. Pure magic.

"Go explore the rest of the town, Paul. Find us something spectacular to do tomorrow night. Who knows? If you are a good boy, I may have to give you an extra special treat."

Ivy turned and walked away, with a little waggle to her thong covered behind. She didn't even look back. She knew I was watching. She was a sexual woman that was comfortable in her own skin, confident of her sensuality.

Dear reader, with that loooooong explanation, I have spent the intervening hours finding something spectactular to do with Ivy. I need to go get ready very soon.

I hope to have something good to talk about tomorrow.

No comments: