Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Golf and the Old Port

The activities on my schedule for today was golf at the Dunegrass Golf Club, and then drive down to Portland for a tour of the Old Port. The Old Port has a lot of shops, restuarants and bars on the redone section, while preserving the historical sites. There is a tour boat that goes all around the harbor visting the historical sites, so I figured I'd to the "touristy" thing. As long as I am down there, I figure I'll eat dinner (I've eaten at every good place in Old Orchard Beach by this time), in the Old Harbor, and do some shopping for souveneirs for my staff and asssitant. One of my paralegals collects those small spoons that you see in airports all over the place. She makes me pick one up wherever I go. If I cannot find one for these locations, I know I am going to be in a lot of trouble.

I'll make my way back to the Inn later on tonight.

Golf was interesting this morning. I had a tee time of 8:45 a.m., was tough considering I was out until after midnight at the Pier Patio Club and the Village Inn Restuarant & Brew Pub. The Patio Club had the live music, as it turns out, and the Village in the karaoke. People would go from one to the other, beer in hand. I was suprised that it was as crowded as it was, given the fact that most of the college kids left on Monday. I came to understand that Tuesday nights were one of THE nights to go out in Old Orchard Beach.

The band, U-Beat, was servicable, doing a mixture of 80's and 90's cover tunes, with some of their own numbers. They must be pretty popular in the area, because it appeared they brought theri own following with them. They were the house band at the Patio Pub on Tuesday Nights, their busiest night.

I did see Ivy at the Village Inn (she was singing karaoke at the time, so I could hardly miss her). She smiled and winked at me. Later, when she was done, she came over and gave me a big hug and a kiss. I am happy to report that there was no strangeness at all between us. She was just as free and uninhibited as when I first met her. We talked for briefly, because she was with her friend. It was long enough to tell me she had a blast with me, and she'd like to see me again before I leave. We made tentative plans to hook up on Thursday night, as I was leaving on Friday.

She gave me another hug and a kiss before she dashed off to rejoin her friend.

So, I spent the rest of the night having a few beers, and enjoying the cool night air, and local culture. It was fun. I staggered back to the Inn about 12:30 a.m.

The wake up call for the golf outing came much too soon. I was placed with three other guys I didn't know at the gold course. I had to play the entire 18 holes while recovering from a hangover and no breakfast.

I shot horrible. I am not the greatest goldfer in the world, but I can hold my own in mixed company. Unfortunately today I discovered the law of inverse proprotion. In other words, the farther or harder I tried to hit the ball, the shorter it went. Thank goodness for my two favorite clubs on the bag, the "foot" wedge and the "hand" wedge. In other words, when my foursome was not looking I either kicked or threw the ball back into play. There is no doubt they knew what I was doing, as they all wore a wry smile on their face. Nevertheless, I think I deposited a dozen balls in the water hazards. At least I entertained them with my antics.

On a positive note, lunch at the Dunegrass was excellent. By the time I drove back to the Inn, I was feeling okay. One of the things that I did get from one of the guys in my foursome is a recommendation to charter the Trina Lyn fishing boat, which goes out every morning from Camp Ellis Fisherman's Pier, about 5 minutes north of Old Orchard Beach. The fishing is spectacular at this time of the year. He told me to talk to Captain Todd Stewart personally, and to give his name as a recommendation. He said Captain Stewart would take care of me.

As I was on my way up to the room to shower, change, and make my charter reservation, before heading up to Old Port, I again ran into Jaci (this time by herself), returning from her visit to her sister, We said our greetings, but I noticed that she seemed different somehow. More anxious or edgy. In fact, everybody I'd encountered in the Inn today all seemed to be a bit edgy. Maybe there was something in the air. Maybe I was getting it, and the hangover I was experiencing this morning was not a hangover after all.

I decided that maybe it would be a good thing to get out of the Inn for a little while.

As I write in this blog, after cleaning myself up, I am ready to jump in the care and head up to Portland. I can't stay out too late, because the Charter leaves from the Fisherman's Pier promptly at 7:30 a.m. Tomorrow will be a full day.

No comments: